Porridge is one of my all time favorite breakfast for sure! Even though many people don’t think so, there are actually maaany different ways to prepare your porridge. I could never get bored of it! During the colder seasons I’m eating porridge for breakfast almost every day but during summer my heart craves for smoothies. But why not having both combined…?! 😉
Porridge has become a huge food trend over the last years and in my opinion thats not surprising. Oats are the basis and they do not only contain important nutrients, vitamins and minerals but also complex carbohydrates, which will give you the energy you need for your day and keep you full simultaneous. Doesn’t that sound convincing?! Next to that they’re super tasty and as I already mentioned there are so many different ways to use them. Porridge is only one of them. You can also use oats for baking (cookies, cakes, waffles, pancakes,…), cooking or to add them to your smoothie. But today it’s all about porridge.
The basic recipe is neither difficult nor especially spectacular. One need only oats, some liquid (usually milk or water) and a pot. Bring it to the boil and let it simmer on low heat for some minutes while the oats soak the liquid. Super simple. At that time it doesn’t really taste that good, you’ll need some more ingredients. cinnamon & vanilla and agave syrup are some really important basics as well. They bring some more taste to your porridge. Of course you can vary it with different spices, powders, fruits, seeds,… as well! 🙂
In this recipe, porridge is only a part of the whole. The delicious smoothie is an important part of it, too! For me fresh fruits are a must if I prepare porridge for breakfast. Otherwise it’s a bit like eating noodles without sauce. Possible but not really tasty! 😉 That’s kind of exaggerated but in principle true! In this case the pureed fruits are like a refreshing and sweet sauce for your porridge.
The third and last part are the toppings. What’s a foodie without his toppings? 😉 Therefore I used more fruits, seeds and some nut butter. If you want your porridge without the smoothie you can just increase the fruit content on your bowl. You can also choose other fruits, it might help to take a look at the season calendar to see which fruits are in season right now. I looove berries and as we still have berry season in germany my decision was easy to make.
- * For the porridge
- 50g oats (optional gluten free)
- 1-2 tbsp vanilla yogurt (vegan)
- dash of plant based milk (oat milk, almond milk,...)
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tsp linseed oil
- 2 handful mixed nuts (hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts,...)
- * For the smoothie:
- 150g berries (Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries,...)
- 1 tsp acai powder (optional)
- some agave syrup (optional!!)
- *For the toppings:
- 1 tsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp almond butter
- 1 handful berries
- Put oats, yogurt, milk, hemp seeds, agave syrup and linseed oil into a pot and bring it to boil for some seconds before you let it cook slowly for some more minutes on low heat. The oats will start to soak due to the milk. You can add some more milk if the consistence is too solid. Important: Stir around from time to time!! Finally add the nuts.
- * Smoothie:
- Super easy. Mix alle the berries, the acai powder (+ agave syrup) in a blender until they' re a viscous smoothie. It's okay if there are some little pieces left.
- * Toppings
- Once you filled porridge and smoothie into a jar you can use a spoon to intermingle the two layers in some places. Of course that won't change the taste, it's only for the look. 😉 Top your mix with some more berries, nut butter and seeds and enjoy your porridge/ berry mix!
I hope you like the recipe as much as I do and it inspired you to try your own porridge / Smoothie mix! I’d really love to hear your opinion, just leave a comment! 🙂 ⇓
If you want to stay up to date make sure you subscribe to my newsletter to get informed as soon as there’s a new post up on my blog!
Best, Maja xx