I think it wouldn’t be exaggerated to say that in Germany, bread is part of the culture. We’ve got so many different white & dark breads and buns that you can spend weeks (or even months :D) with trying which is your favorite. If you don’t have enough time for traveling to Germany to eat through all the varieties – I wrote down the recipe for one of my favorite breads. (: It’s super easy and quick to make and tastes delicious:
It tastes amazing with sweet things such as jam but I also like the mix of the sweet cranberries and something salty. (What about some tomato spread!?) Of course you can vary the taste by replacing cranberries and walnuts through something else! It’s up to you.
- 500g spelt flour (wholemeal)
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 50g cranberries
- 50g walnuts
- 60g seeds (chia seeds, linseeds, sunflowerseeds,...)
- 2 packages yeast (or 1 cube of fresh yeast)
- ½l water
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp wholemeal oats
- Mix everything from flour to vinegar together (in order of the list) until its an even dough and
- fill it into a box-shaped baking tin which is covered with baking paper.
- Top it with oats and put it in the cold (!) oven for about 1 hour. (200 degrees)